Wednesday 7 December 2011

Year's End in Sight

Well, it's that time of year AGAIN.

December is upon us and where are approaching the mid-way mark. The clock is ticking and running out on 2O11. The trade winds have shifted, coming from the north and bringing cooler breezes. Lights are going up around the island, ppl are gettin ready for the holidays. As usual, there will be the fair share of palm trees wrapped in Christmas lights and Christmas tree decorated with sea shells. I don't get tired of it, but I am looking for something new.

I've seen a lot come and go on this little rock...I've seen things change and not always for the best. Some things still hold very fond memories. I remember coming here when I was kid and getting a seemingly endless supply of Chiclets. Many of you know what I'm talking about. When St. Maarten first popped up on the map as a travel destination, just over 3O some odd years ago, the US dollar was just making its way to the island. Coins were hard to come buy- i.e. nickles, dimes, etc. So, many times you would receive your change in the form of a couple little packs of Chiclets gum. Some places still carry on the tradition today. No matter where I go in the world, seeing a pack of Chiclets puts me right back in St. Maarten. Hmmm, maybe I'll decorate my tree with Chiclets this year! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment