Thursday 3 December 2009

GEBE - load shedding or power play?

GEBE is the power company in St. Maarten. The prblems have been on the rise over the years.

GEBE! A power company...power in many definitions EXCEPT electricity. The running joke on the island is GEBE....Stands for Got Everything But Electricity.
That is a sad state of affairs. Once again GEBE is claiming 'load shedding' due to malfunctioning generators. Is this really what's going on or is there something more? Could this be a not-so-clever power play by Mr. Crooks...oh! Excuse me! Mr. BROOKS. Could it be that the 'powers that be' at GEBE don't like feeling pressured and have decided to show just who is in control? All this and the people of St. Maarten are the ones who pay the ultimate price. Disruptions in business, home, school. And I have to ask the question..."Where do I send my appliance repair bill?" That's right. GEBE has now damaged my refrigerator and I lost $100 worth of food. Also damaged has been my 2 computers, one laptop and one desktop - my stove, my stereo, my TV. And I have to pay for this to be repaired, from my own pocket. I DEMAND REIMBURSEMENT!I also demand electricity. I should not have to demand it! I pay my bill every month. And if I'm late one day, GEBE does not hesitate to slap on a late charge. What can I do? I can't not pay my bill, then I wouldn't get electricity - not that that's a big change from what I have right now...NO ELECTRICITY. An island striving to be a world power in tourism and we can't even hope for electricity from day to day!.

This all leads me back to the government. Dear, dear government. You are screaming for country status, while your people are screaming for answers and electricity. If the government can be held hostage by their power company, how can they expect to be strong enough to have country status?

No comments:

Post a Comment