Friday 11 December 2009

Brooks Tower Accord SXM Sint Maarten

INHUMANE TREATMENT AT BTA

Like cattle to slaughter, hundreds, if not thousands of people are lining up daily for a chance at temporary residency. What they have to suffer through is positively inhumane. Did anyone realize that only 125…that’s right ONE HUNDRED AND  TWENTY FIVE numbers are given out daily? Who came up with this number and are they aware of how ridiculous it is? At least 3 times that number come to line up. Also, did anyone realize there is a list? Yes, a list for LAZY, INCONSIDERATE people. People can show up at 10 am and put their name on a list and return at 4 pm and NOT have to stand in line. A list? What list? WHAT IS THIS? EXCUSE ME? If I’m showing up at noon, I will wait in line from noon until I’m served. It should be first come first served. Period. Also, last night there was nearly a riot in line as people desperately tried to get a number. Police had to be called in. A gentleman from the office came out to plead with the unruly crowd to calm down insisting, “You will all be taken care of TODAY, by me personally, even if I have to stay here until 2 am.” Following that statement, 125 people were allowed in. Then an officer appeared at the head of the line to announce, “I have just been told that you we all get helped tonight.” Two of the biggest lies ever told. The ‘first group’ was let in and that was it. I stood in line from 1:30pm. I was 10 people from the door at 4pm, just behind the first group. I was told at 7:30PM that there were no more numbers, I was still 10 people from the door. This was not a big announcement. The crowd was informally informed by passing security guards who were mumbling under their breath that there were no more numbers. In a way, who could blame them? Who would want to face an angry crowd of 100+ people, all filled with the same desperation and anger. If there are only 125 numbers, someone should be counting the people in line and marking a cut off point. I had other things to do besides waste SIX HOURS standing in line. And standing is all you can do. There are no seats, no cover from the sun. You step out of line and loose your place. No one wants to let you back in. Every person in line is wearing the same expression on their face. desperation. And this was my second time! My first time there was no ‘list’ and once I got it, I was told I needed copies of everything. Copy service were being offered, for a fee. Having no money on my, I had to step out of line and miss my opportunity. People who are working at the BTA are sorely lacking in organization and resources to help people. The immigration office has either sorely underestimated the amount of people seeking help, or they just don’t care. I’m thinking they just don’t care. Standing in line for 6 hours, watching office workers move back and forth, glaring at the crowd, sucking their teeth in clear annoyance, I didn’t see any one there truly wishing to help us. All I saw were people who have jobs and don’t appreciate them, and others desperate to work, who can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment